We are a charity located in East London which supports individuals with Autistic Spectrum Disorders and their families.
The Autism Ambassadors deliver presentations to raise awareness of autism with companies and members of the public to help them to understand autism and how to create an autism-friendly atmosphere. These presentations can take place in a variety of places across Redbridge, such as schools/colleges, hospitals, police stations, businesses and councils.
Main purpose of the role
You will get to support the Autism Ambassadors as they promote awareness of autism within the community by delivering presentations to businesses, groups and members of the public.
Main tasks and activities
- To deliver presentations using prompt cards which we read to the audience. These vary in difficulty, and you can choose whichever ones you want.
- To get involved in running / joining in the interactive activities we hold during the presentations.
- To offer general support during presentations. You can do as much as you feel like on the day, and you don’t have to attend any sessions you don’t want to.
Skills, attributes, experience and qualifications required
- No previous experience is needed, just an enthusiasm to work with and educate people.
- Volunteers must have a diagnosis of autism or be going through the diagnostic process for an autism spectrum disorder.
- We are specifically looking to recruit volunteers aged 12-16 years. However, 17-25-year olds are also welcome.
What this role can offer the volunteer
- This role will help you achieve a positive understanding of autism, a new sense of purpose, boost your self-esteem and progress your personal development.
- You can make new friends to help you broaden your outlook on life. You will learn new skills and find talents you never knew you had. Most of all you will have fun within a large friendly Autism Ambassador team.
- The Ambassadors are always joined by Support Workers trained in autism awareness and safeguarding of young people. However, one-to-one support cannot be guaranteed.
- Basic reference on regular attendance after a period 3 months.
Application process: Application form. We can also provide more information to prospective volunteers prior to application, if contacted by telephone or email. Informal discussion. No references or DBS check are required.
Induction arrangements: New volunteers will be contacted by telephone or email and sent an information pack.
Feedback is provided to volunteers after each presentation.