Barnardo’s believes in children regardless of their circumstances, gender, race, disability or behaviour. Our purpose as a charity today is to transform the lives of the UK’s most vulnerable children.
We believe in the abused, the most vulnerable, the forgotten and the neglected. We will support them, stand up for them and bring out the best in each and every child.
We do this because we believe that every child deserves the best start in life and the chance to fulfil their potential.
We use the knowledge gained from our direct work with children to campaign for better childcare policy and to champion the rights of every child.
With the right help, committed support and a little belief, even the most vulnerable children can turn their lives around. Barnardo’s is regulated by the Charity Commission. Being a registered charity means that we must always be accountable and transparent.
- Able to build a meaningful relationship with a young person
- Volunteers should above all have a genuine interest in children and young people with disabilities
- To be 'young at heart' and have a good sense of humour
- Good communication and organisational skills and able to commit to arrangements once they are made, which requires reliability and good time keeping
- Volunteers should be able to work as part of a team
- Be able to keep in contact by responding to emails and calls from Barnardo's staff
- As notes are written after each visit, volunteers should be able to write clear, basic reports
- Need to have a mobile phone and access to a computer
The minimum age requirement for this role is 18+
Recruitment process: All volunteers will have to complete a registration form and supply us with two current (most recent employer, colleagues and or supervisors) professional references covering a period of two years.
On average recruitment takes 4 weeks.
Induction and training: A full induction into the work of Barnardo's and our values is provided, along with mandatory training: Barnardo's Safeguarding, Equality & Diversity, (and other modules from our training modules as appropriate). Volunteers receive regular supervision and support from the project co-ordinator as agreed with you.
DBS check required: Yes