Redbridge Respite Care Association was set up in 1990. We have fully trained support workers who provide care and support to families at home and at our daycentre, who suffer with Dementia and Mental health. We promote independence, health and well-being to the individuals and their families.
About the project
Our project aims to offer a befriender for people who suffer from Dementia and Mental health. This will provide them the opportunity to go out into the local community. The befriender will provide companionship, support them around the house or garden and accompany them to an activity or hospital/doctor’s appointment. This will promote independence and reduce isolation.
Main tasks and responsibilities
To provide help and support to persons to maintain independence or to become more involved in their local community. The befriender will provide friendly conversation and companionship on a regular basis. Whilst visiting the older person in their home they could have a cup of tea and chat, engage in activities best suited to them, encourage hobbies and new interests, support them whilst attending appointments and provide emotional and practical support
The befriender’s role will include providing support and companionship to lonely or emotionally distressed people. This will take place in their home or out in their community tailored to the individual’s needs. Most importantly to offer a service in a caring and responsible way..
Skills, experience, attributes and qualifications
- A good befriender needs to be empathetic, supportive, reliable and a good listener.
- Mobile phone
- Age requirement: 18+
Benefits to volunteers
- To gain experience and new skills within the health and social care sector.
- To meet new people and make a difference within the local community.
- This role will offer the volunteer self –esteem and confidence ensuring the individual to feel valued and part of a team.
- A basic reference after six months regular volunteering.
Support for volunteers:
- Volunteer handbook
- Named supervisor
- Regular supervision
- We can provide a volunteering buddy to assist volunteers with additional needs whilst befriending in the community if required
- Basic reference is provided after 6 months of regular volunteering.
- Application form or CV and covering letter
- Informal interview
- Volunteering "Taster" session
- DBS check required
References required: 2 from a professional or education backgroundto cover a five year period.
Average length of recruitment 2 weeks.