We record local news and features each week for distribution via USB memory sticks to the blind in the London Borough of Redbridge. The sticks are sent and returned by free post. We are a registered charity, entirely independent and run by volunteers. The service is free to our “Listeners”, the blind and partially sighted in Redbridge.
We seek new volunteers to join one of our copying teams who work on a rota system. Copying takes place at our studio on Friday mornings.
Working with two or three others you will prepare the USB memory sticks on high-speed equipment and pack them into pouches for delivery by post. The pouch labels are prepared according to our distribution list.
Skills, attributes, experience and qualifications
- The minimum age of our volunteers is 18 years.
- No previous experience is necessary.
- Ability to work with others
- Follow instructions
- Learn to operate simple equipment.
Benefits to the volunteer
- The role provides the opportunity to work with others in ensuring that our Listeners are able to stay in touch with the community.
- Sending out our editions is a very satisfying exercise as it makes sure that our Listeners are able to stay in touch and as a result do not feel lonely or isolated.
- References not available
- Following a telephone discussion, applicants will be invited to our studio for an informal interview where we will explain our organisation, how we operate and the role.
- We will also address the expectations of, and from, the applicant.
- No references required.