WWMS is a Christian Charity that assists vulnerable migrants in the locality through the provision of advocacy, advice and support services. The roles will be based at Broadmead Baptist Church, Chigwell Road, Woodford Bridge IG8 8PE.
The main purpose of the role is to assist clients in making homelessness applications to local councils. We intend to develop this role to cover other aspects of housing advice. The main tasks and responsibilities are:
- Assisting with homelessness applications
- Interviewing clients: taking instructions and identifying issues
- Advocacy: contacting service providers on behalf of clients by phone and letter
- Assessing eligibility for assistance
- File maintenance – ensuring forms completed and notes written up.
The role will offer the volunteer an opportunity for:
- Experience with advice work
- First-hand experience of working with marginalised group
- Opportunity to help people in great need
- References after six months
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed in accordance with WWMS expenses policy.
Skills, attributes, experience and qualifications:
- Confident and comfortable to complete application forms
- Excellent standard of written and oral English
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Good attention to detail
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and the internet
- An awareness of the backgrounds and experiences of vulnerable migrants in their countries of origin and in the UK
- Ability to adhere to equal opportunities policy.
- Good negotiation skills
- Experience of providing advice
- Awareness of housing issues affecting migrants
- A second language.
Age requirement: 18+
Disable access: yes
Equal opportunities policy: yes
Extra support for people with additional needs: None at the moment
Induction arrangements: An induction will be provided
Mandatory training: Volunteers are required to attend a two full day external training course on housing
Other training: There will be other occasional training opportunities
Insurance cover: Public liability and accident insurance will be in place
Support and supervision: Regular supervision meetings with the CEO
Application process: Application form
Selection process: Interview/informal discussion and written test
DBS check: Yes
References required: Ideally, two professional work references from suitable persons (excluding relations) attesting to the character and suitability for the position.