Haven House is a children's hospice. Children aged 0-19 come to us for either life limiting or life threatening conditions. The hospice cares for terminally ill children and their families. It serves families in Essex, Hertfordshire and north and east London boroughs.
About the role
Purple Pots are our charity collection boxes that we have in the local community. This role involves volunteers managing an area or a high street and keeping a check on the existing boxes and replacing them when required. This includes local shops, pubs, businesses etc. Once collected and replaced the box should be dropped back to the hospice. The role is very flexible and is based within your local area. You will be given all the equipment and support needed.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Managing a particular area or a high street.
- Keeping a regular check on the existing boxes and replacing when required.
- Work on your area sheet and try to approach and place new boxes in local shops, pubs, businesses etc.
- We pledge to collect; replace and resolve any RHB query in a week and with the support of our wonderful volunteers have been successful so far.
- Any collected RHB has to be dropped to the head office as soon as possible, ideally the next day. However, the role is very flexible and you can manage and collect the boxes working around your schedule, work from home and liaise with the team via email or phone. Our team will provide a detailed area sheet and all the office support.
Experience, skills and attributes needed
- Good communication and customer care service skills
- Being able to work with the general public
- Being flexible
The minimum age requirement for this role is 18+
Benefits for volunteers
This volunteer role can be done very much as and when the volunteer has time as our boxes are changed approximately every two-three months. They can also get to know the lcoal businesses in their community.
- Application form
- Have an informal discussion
- Two references required - one personal (who has known you for 2 years) and one professional. If you have difficulty we can review this on a case by case basis.
- No DBS check required
- We invite all new volunteers to an induction at the hospice. These usually help every few months but sometimes more often if the need arises.
The average length of recruitment is one to two months. This very much depends on when the volunteer is available to come in for an informal interview and also how quickly we receive references and/or any other checks we need to carry out.
Support and training provided: Yes
Haven House is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all volunteers to share this commitment