We are recruiting volunteers to provide help and support to people on the autistic spectrum within their home environment.
Volunteers work with a child with autism in their home environment, visiting once a week after 4pm on weekdays or at any time over the weekend by arrangement with the family.
The main tasks and responsibilities of this role are:
- Helping a child with their social interaction.
- Encouraging social communication.
- Helping with understanding of the world around them, by using symbols and social stories
- Encouraging hobbies and activities outside the home.
Skills, Attributes, Experience and Qualifications
This is a particularly good role for students of health and social care, community studies, child development and psychology. You don't need to have any prior experience of autism.
- Need to be 18+
- Have a warm and friendly nature, enquiring mind and non-judgemental approach
- Willingness to make a regular commitment.
What could this role offer you as a volunteer?
- Volunteers gain great satisfaction from being able to effect even a small change in the life of someone who may be stuck in the world around them.
- They will learn more about autism and how it affects individuals and families; they will also develop different ways of communication and will develop in their own communication methods.
- Volunteers increase their transferable skills, which can be really useful for future employment.
Resources for Autism provides induction and ongoing training:
- After training, volunteer is accompanied by the Family support worker to be introduced to the family. Induction also happens over the training period.
- Every two months we run training for 2 consecutive weeks on two evenings per week, Monday & Thursday.
- If necessary, we also offer some coaching depending on how the placement is progressing.
- Support and supervision will be provided. Every six weeks we do face to face supervision and keep in touch via phone and email. The volunteer also has to complete a weekly log sheet.
- Applicants must fill in an application form, an assessment interview will be arranged, after which training will be organised for successful applicants.
- Training takes place in Finchley and travel expenses are reimbursed.
- A Disclosure and Barring Service check is required for this role.
- One professional and one personal reference are required.