RedbridgeCVS is working with Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge CCGs to deliver a six month Community Cancer Champions project designed to raise awareness of the three national cancer screening programmes for breast, cervical and bowel cancers and to recognise the signs and symptoms of lung and prostate cancers.
Using specially trained Health and Wellbeing Buddies, the service will target new and existing community groups in all three boroughs to reach at risk groups within the appropriate age range and demography for particular kinds of cancer.
The Community Cancer Champions project will:
- raise awareness of cancer amongst high risk groups including those in the Black and Minority Ethnic communities, those with a learning disability and non-English speaking people.
- dispel myths and misconceptions about cancer
- make people aware of when, where and how to seek help
- emphasise the importance of attending screening
- make people aware of how to help prevent cancer i.e. healthy lifestyle choices
- support cancer prevention and early diagnosis through joint working
For more details about this project, please contact Olive Hamilton-Andrews, Community Cancer Champions Coordinator via email at email@example.com